Dental Implants and what you need to know before considering them.
What is a Dental Implant and is something I should consider?
So, what do you do if one of your teeth falls out and what options do I have to fix your dental problem?
One option, not always the best solution, is to get a dental implant but before going down that path, it is best to get the expert advice of a trained dentist like the dentists at South Anchorage Dental Center. Since this is a major decision, it is best to get the trusted expertise of a dental team who has done this for many years like SADC and Dr. Brimhall.
Since this is a procedure where an oral surgeon or periodontist surgically places an artificial tooth that’s surgically fused in the jawbone, it may be a difficult and costly option so explore all the possibilities that today’s modern medicine offers. While it is possibly a great long term option for tooth replacement, it is also an option that needs to be weighed against other options that might be less painful and more cost-effective. Let the experts at SADC help you learn more about your options.
In the not too distant past, if you lost a tooth, your choices were a fixed bridge or removable dentures but times have changed and so have procedures so carefully investigate your options and which will work best for both you and your budget. Times have changed and are changing so make your decision wisely but only after you speak with the dental experts in South Anchorage at SADC.
The procedure of fixed bridges relies on neighboring healthy teeth used as anchors, which have the potential of a long-term negative impact. Removable dentures can slip or make embarrassing clicking sounds when you speak, so the options with this procedure need to be looked at carefully.
A dental implant which is also an option (made of titanium) fuses to the jawbone, serving as the root of the missing tooth. Unlike fixed bridges, which may need to be replaced two and three times during a lifetime, implants are durable and rarely, if ever, need to be replaced.
The Advantages of Implants may include:
- Typically, implants look great. Implants are aesthetically superior to bridges and dentures. Usually, implants stay put and look like your real teeth.
- Implants can save adjacent teeth because there is no need to anchor to the teeth next to them. So, they can preserve the overall integrity of your healthy teeth and make for a better set of teeth.
- Implants are very reliable and can be trusted, so you don’t have to worry about misplacing implants as they aren’t going anywhere but staying put in your mouth and on your jawbone. Unlike bridges, you won’t have to replace them but once in your lifetime.
Getting Implants is a process.
An implant procedure is not a quick one so don’t expect an overnight miracle as it just won’t happen. But, here is what to expect.
- Once you have made the decision to move forward with dental implants, You will receive a complete dental exam. All available and recommended options and costs are explained at your meeting with the doctor.
- You might also receive a set of molds along with the x-rays that will provide the doctor with a detailed look at your specific problems and options for solutions.
- After you have been provided your choices, you will work very closely with one of our doctors who will provide a detailed treatment plan. Along the way, the doctor will provide all your benefits and as well as possible issues with the treatment
- Once a mutual decision has been made on the treatment plan you will then be treated and instructed on what to expect and what you need to do to make sure the treatment is successful.
- Because dental implants do involve surgery the total recovery time might be as long as six months so don’t expect a quick fix as that is not a reality. You will have some pain but in most cases treated in our offices the patient’s pain is manageable, and the doctor will see to it that you are as pain-free as possible.
- After the surgery, will you need a ride from the doctor’s office back home so make sure you secure the ride before having the surgery.
So, if this is something you want to pursue then book an appointment online today.