Going to the dentist can feel a little uncomfortable sometimes. We totally understand. No-one really wants a stranger poking around in their mouth, let alone drilling, scraping, filling, or extracting.
We know that for some people, the thought of sitting in a dentist’s chair can be a little scary. Some people might put off visiting the dentist for months, or even years, simply because they can’t face the thought of a check-up, let alone any preventative or restorative work. That’s really concerning.
Here at South Anchorage Dental Center, our goal is to give every person a great experience at the dentist… because we want you to come back! Regular dental check-ups are key to maintaining good oral health. This is really important not just for your self-esteem, but your overall health.
The good news is that we have an option available for people experiencing fears just like yours. It’s so effective that it might even make your next visit relaxing. How? Through sedation dentistry.
Want to go ahead and book an appointment? Contact us today.
What Is Sedation Dentistry?
Sedation dentistry is exactly what it sounds like. Your dentist will administer a sedative that will help you feel completely calm before they conduct your check-up and do any work.
There are two main types you should know about:
- Inhaled sedation: This is when nitrous oxide is delivered by a mask that’s worn over your nose and mouth. All you have to do is breathe. Nitrous oxide is also sometimes referred to as “laughing gas.” It allows you to stay awake and fully in control of what you’re doing, but it makes you feel happy and relaxed. You’re also free to take medication beforehand.
- IV sedation: This is much more effective and precise, which means we can make you very comfortable. The dentist will insert a needle into your arm to deliver the medication, which is usually something like diazepam (Valium), lorazepam (Ativan), propofol or midazolam. This is also a great solution to keep in mind if you need several procedures done at once.
Sedation dentistry can be used in conjunction with all our regular dental services. This includes routine examinations and cleaning as well as implants, crowns, wisdom teeth extraction, veneers, Invisalign, dentures, root canals, fillings, and more.
If this is something that interests you, but you have more questions, feel free to call our office. Our team members will talk you through the process and help you decide if it’s the right choice.
Does Sedation Dentistry Really Work?
Sedation dentistry is an extremely effective way to help people who feel nervous about visiting the dentist to maintain their oral health. It can make a huge difference to your experience.
There are three situations in which we recommend it:
- If you require a procedure that is lengthy or complex.
- If you are feeling a lot of stress or anxiety about seeing the dentist.
- If you have a strong gag reflex that prevents the dentist from working.
Not all dentists administer sedation, but this is something we have prioritized in order to be able to help as many people as possible. We’re committed to serving the Anchorage community. That’s also why we offer a Dental Savings Plan that could see you save up to 20% on dental treatments.
We understand dental expenses are often a surprise, so this plan delivers discounts when you need them both. It covers all treatments, from extractions, root canals, crowns, bridges, and dentures, through to cosmetic dentistry and more. There are no claim forms, waiting periods, or annual maximums. It starts at just $444 for adults and all applicants are guaranteed to be accepted.
Where To Try Sedation Dentistry in Anchorage
Our office, South Anchorage Dental Center, is located at 9170 Jewel Lake Road, Suite 201. We’re open Monday and Tuesday from 8am-7pm, Wednesday and Thursday from 8am-4pm, Friday from 8am-2pm, and Saturday by appointment.
We can accommodate walk-ins and we also offer 24-hour care for dental emergencies. You can call us on (907) 248-7275 or contact us online.