Dental Cleanings At South Anchorage Dental Center
Regular dental cleanings are an essential part of maintaining optimal oral health. These professional cleanings, also known as dental prophylaxis, are typically recommended every six months and are performed by a dental hygienist or dentist. Dental cleanings go beyond what regular brushing and flossing can achieve, helping to prevent tooth decay, gum disease, and other oral health issues.
During a dental cleaning, several necessary steps are taken to ensure a thorough and effective cleaning:
- Plaque and Tartar Removal: Plaque is a sticky film of bacteria that forms on the teeth. If not removed, it can harden into tartar, leading to gum disease. The dental professional will use specialized tools to remove plaque and tartar from the teeth and along the gumline.
- Teeth Polishing: After plaque and tartar removal, the dental professional will use a gritty toothpaste and a high-powered electric brush to polish the teeth. This helps remove surface stains and gives the teeth a smooth and shiny appearance.
- Flossing and Rinsing: The dental professional will floss between the teeth to remove any remaining plaque or debris. They may also rinse your mouth with fluoride to strengthen the enamel and protect against cavities.
- Examination and Evaluation: During the cleaning, the dental professional will also thoroughly examine your teeth and gums. They will check for signs of gum disease, tooth decay, oral cancer, and other dental issues. X-rays may also be taken to detect any hidden problems.
Regular dental cleanings offer several benefits for your oral health:
- Prevention of Tooth Decay: By removing plaque and tartar, dental cleanings help prevent cavities and tooth decay.
- Gum Disease Prevention: Gum disease is a common oral health issue that can lead to tooth loss if left untreated. Regular cleanings help remove bacteria and plaque that contribute to gum disease.
- Early Detection of Dental Issues: During the cleaning, the dental professional can identify any potential dental problems early on, allowing for prompt treatment and prevention of further complications.
- Fresh Breath: Dental cleanings help remove bacteria that can cause bad breath, leaving your mouth fresh and clean.
Experience The Benefits of Regular Dental Cleanings
Regular dental cleanings and consistent oral hygiene at home are crucial for optimal oral health. Brush twice daily, floss daily, and use your dentist's recommended mouthwash. Schedule a cleaning at South Anchorage Dental Center to take the first step towards a healthier smile. Our experienced professionals are dedicated to high-quality care. Book your appointment today.