Root Canals At South Anchorage Dental Center
A root canal is a standard dental procedure to treat and save a tooth that is infected or severely decayed. It involves removing the infected or damaged pulp from the tooth, cleaning and disinfecting the root canal, and then filling and sealing it to prevent further infection.
When is a Root Canal Needed?
The pulp inside a tooth can become infected or damaged due to decay, a cracked tooth, repeated dental procedures, or trauma. When this happens, a root canal is necessary.
Signs and Symptoms
If you experience any of the following signs or symptoms, it may indicate the need for a root canal:
- Severe toothache, especially when biting or applying pressure
- Prolonged sensitivity to hot or cold temperatures
- Discoloration or darkening of the tooth
- Swelling and tenderness in the surrounding gums
- A small bump or pimple-like swelling on the gums near the affected tooth
The Root Canal Procedure
- Examination and Diagnosis: Your dentist will examine the tooth and take X-rays to determine the extent of infection.
- Anesthesia: Local anesthesia will be administered to numb the area surrounding the affected tooth for your comfort during the procedure.
- Access and Removal: The dentist will make a hole in the tooth to reach the pulp chamber and remove the infected or damaged pulp.
- Cleaning and Disinfection: The root canal and pulp chamber will be cleaned, shaped, and disinfected.
- Filling and Sealing: After cleaning the root canal, it will be filled with gutta-percha and sealed with a temporary filling.
- Restoration: In most cases, a dental crown or filling is placed on the treated tooth to restore its strength, function, and appearance.
After a root canal, following your dentist's instructions for proper care and healing is essential. Here are some general guidelines:
- Pain Management: Over-the-counter pain medication can help with discomfort after a dental procedure. Prescription medication may also be provided if needed.
- Oral Hygiene: Maintain good oral hygiene by brushing and flossing regularly and following your dentist's specific care recommendations.
- Follow-Up Appointments: Keep follow-up appointments with the dentist for root canal success.
Benefits of Root Canals
Root canal treatment offers several benefits, including:
- Saves the Tooth: A root canal protects teeth from extraction and preserves oral health.
- Relieves Pain: Root canals relieve severe tooth pain caused by pulp infection or inflammation.
- Restores Function: Root canal-treated tooth functions usually. No discomfort or limitations while biting, chewing, or speaking.
- Protects Surrounding Teeth: By treating the infection and sealing the root canal, the spread of disease to neighboring teeth is prevented.
Trust the Expert for Your Root Canal Treatment
At South Anchorage Dental Center, our skilled team uses advanced techniques and equipment to perform root canal treatments that restore dental health and alleviate pain. Don't delay seeking treatment. Contact us today for a consultation and achieve a healthy, pain-free smile through root canal treatment.