Dental Sealants At South Anchorage Dental Center
Dental sealants are a preventive dental treatment that can help protect your teeth from cavities and decay. They are a thin, protective coating applied to the chewing surfaces of your back teeth, where tooth decay is most likely to occur.
What are Dental Sealants?
Dental sealants are a safe and durable plastic applied to molars and premolars' pits and grooves. These areas trap food and bacteria, making them harder to clean. Sealants create a smooth surface, preventing plaque buildup and decay.
How Do Dental Sealants Work?
The application of dental sealants is a quick and painless process. Here's what you can expect during a dental sealant procedure:
- Cleaning: Your dentist will thoroughly clean and dry the teeth that will receive the sealants.
- Etching: A mild acid solution will be applied to the chewing surfaces of the teeth to create a rougher texture. This helps the sealant material bond securely to the teeth.
- Application: The dental sealant material is applied to the teeth and carefully spread into the pits and grooves.
- Curing: A special light may harden the sealant, ensuring it adheres firmly to the tooth surface.
- Evaluation: Your dentist will check the fit and placement of the sealants to ensure they provide maximum protection.
Benefits of Dental Sealants
Dental sealants offer several benefits for both children and adults:
- Prevention of Tooth Decay: Dental sealants act as a physical barrier, protecting the teeth from bacteria, acids, and plaque that can lead to decay.
- Long-Lasting Protection: With proper care and maintenance, dental sealants can last for many years, providing continuous protection against cavities.
- Pain-Free and Non-Invasive: Applying dental sealants is painless, non-invasive, and requires no drilling or removal of tooth structure.
- Cost-Effective: Dental sealants are a cost-effective preventive measure that can help you avoid more extensive and expensive dental treatments in the future.
- Suitable for All Ages: While dental sealants are commonly applied to children's permanent molars as soon as they erupt, adults can also benefit from sealants on their permanent teeth.
Caring for Dental Sealants
Proper care and maintenance can ensure the longevity and effectiveness of dental sealants. Here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Maintain Good Oral Hygiene: Brush your teeth twice daily with fluoride toothpaste and floss daily to remove plaque and food particles.
- Attend Regular Dental Check-ups: Visit your dentist for routine check-ups and professional cleanings to monitor the condition of your sealants and overall oral health.
- Avoid Chewing Hard Objects: Dental sealants are durable but can be damaged by excessive force. Avoid biting on complex objects or chewing on ice to prevent any potential damage.
A Long-lasting Barrier Against Plaque and Bacteria
Dental sealants are a painless, cost-effective solution that protects teeth from decay and cavities by sealing pits and grooves. Contact us today and make your appointment with the South Anchorage Dental Center experts if they're right for you. Invest in dental sealants for a healthy, cavity-free smile.