Mouthguards At South Anchorage Dental Center
Mouthguards are essential dental appliances designed to protect your teeth, gums, and jaws from injuries during sports and other physical activities. They act as a barrier, absorbing and redistributing the impact forces that can lead to dental trauma.
Why Wear a Mouthguard?
- Preventing Tooth Injuries: Mouthguards cushion and avert tooth fractures, chipping, and loss during contact sports.
- Protecting Soft Tissues: Mouthguards protect the soft tissues of your mouth from accidental bites and lacerations.
- Preventing Jaw Injuries: Mouthguards protect against jaw fractures, dislocations, and impact-related temporomandibular joint (TMJ) injuries.
- Reducing the Risk of Concussions: Studies show that a properly fitting mouthguard can reduce concussion risk by cushioning and distributing impact forces that cause brain injury.
Types of Mouthguards
- Stock Mouthguards: Inexpensive mouthguards offer limited protection and comfort, as they may not fit properly, causing breathing and speaking issues.
- Boil-and-Bite Mouthguards: Boil-and-bite mouthguards are created with a thermoplastic material that softens when heated. After boiling, you bite into the guard to create a custom fit. Compared to stock guards, these offer better protection and comfort.
- Custom-Made Mouthguards: Custom mouthguards are crafted by dental professionals from teeth impressions for optimal fit, comfort, and safety. Although they are more costly, they provide superior results.
Caring for Your Mouthguard
To ensure the effectiveness and longevity of your mouthguard, follow these care tips:
- Rinse your mouthguard with cool water before and after each use.
- Clean your mouthguard with a toothbrush and toothpaste or mild soap.
- Store your mouthguard in a sturdy container with vents to promote air circulation.
- Avoid exposing your mouthguard to high temperatures, as it may warp or lose shape.
- Regularly inspect your mouthguard for any signs of wear and tear and replace it if necessary.
Prioritize Your Oral Health Today and Get Yourself a Mouthguard!
Protect your smile during sports and recreational activities with a mouthguard. Contact us today and make your appointment with the experts at South Anchorage Dental Center, to determine the best one for your needs. A high-quality mouthguard can make a big difference in preserving your teeth and overall well-being.